• Welcome to Japanese Gardening Forums 日本の園芸フォーラム. Please login or sign up.

Hello from Eugene, OR

Started by Carleh, February 27, 2018, 08:12:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleh

We've decided to remove all our grass in the front yard - no more mowing!  Will bring in lots of windswept rock, grasses, a few trees.  After looking at the plan we decided to have a rock garden and that led me to this site.  I began learning bonsai about 15 years ago - and hope to bring some of that knowledge to our project.  Satsuki Azalea I've been working on for a few years

vijama

Welcome to the forum Carleh,

Rock garden is a nice idea. Have you already lots of books about this topic? If not look at the A JAPANESE GARDEN HANDBOOK, which you can find here. Also other books are referred in http://www.japanesegardening.org/site/publications/.

I have a rock garden also. One thing to remember is that it is not maintenance free. If you do not remove the rubbish weekly/daily, then a more thorough cleaning is needed at least once per year.

Carleh

Thank you very much for the information - most helpful!

Best,

Carl

mslater

Welcome! I live in Salem and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Carleh

Appreciate your letting me know and will post progress in a few months.  We did contact the Portland Japanese Garden and learned that the rock they now use for the dry gardens comes from Oregon Decorative Rock in Beaverton. 

Michaelinseattle

K.T. Cannon-Eger

What a beautiful Satzuki azalea.
Welcome to the Forum.
You may wish to look at how some gardens display bonsai within or adjacent to a rock garden. Check out the Japanese Garden at Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They have a lovely web site.
The Huntington added a new bonsai garden about 6 years ago. Very nice display shelves.

K.T.

Carleh

Thank you and I appreciate the information.  The garden at Frederik Meijer Gardens is beautiful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk