• Welcome to Japanese Gardening Forums 日本の園芸フォーラム. Please login or sign up.
October 29, 2020, 06:49:09 pm

News:

NOTICE:  JGO is considering a merger with North American Japanese Garden Association.  Please send questions and comments to don@japanesegardening.org.

Hello from the Netherlands

Started by RAMONSMIT, May 17, 2017, 06:33:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RAMONSMIT

Hi ,

My name is Ramon and i am from Gouda , the Netherlands
47 years old and love japanese gardens
started creating my garden 12 years ago from scratch
pictures below

Ramon

tdg

Ramon,
Welcome to the forum.  Your garden look very well done. I spend many hours in mine so I know you should have pride in your artistic accomplishment.
Terry

RAMONSMIT

Hi Terry ,

thank you ..... yes spend many hours in there but totally worth it , especially now its gettin more mature
and less weeds thanks to mosses and other groundcovers

Ramon

pstanton

Thank you for sharing the photos; your garden looks well loved and tended.

Stanton

Healeyjet

Ramon, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing photos of your garden!

Ward

Michaelinseattle

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing the beautiful images.  :)

Stone-Hale

Ramon, thanks for sharing your photos!  This garden looks really lovely! 

kabuki999

Hi Ramon,

I think your  garden is indeed unique... I also came across some posts about it on other sites including  somewhat of a debate about it on gardenweb, from a few years ago.
What struck me first, is how pristine the little garden is, how well manicured... yes, the azaleas might be lending a bit too much colour, but then, they don't flower all year around, so it must be a great joy to see them bloom and flower in the healthy way that they do, when it is that time of the year. 

I saw the use of round stepping stones has received some critique, but I believe that was not really about their shape, instead, perhaps more  about the actual way of using them... maybe those leading to the bridge are a bit oversized  and they don't blend in the best way in that particular tightly knit stone path, in that particular setting.
( I am also using some round stepping stones in my garden design... and feel that using these sparingly in looser structures  is beneficial. )

The second thing that struck me is the scale of your garden... you have taken the miniaturization  aspect to a new level...  at least that's bthe way I see it... thus this lovely garden is an almost Liliputhian creation. This approach provides conditions to include the important elements of JG into the limited space that you seem to have...  and you managed to do this in good taste, somehow  without overcrowding the garden. I think this is a huge asset. 

In the process of minaturization, you managed to keep things within the human scale ( though a bit close to the edge, but  luckily the garden has not become a Bekonscot offshoot... )  I am supposing that tending the garden and moving around is still not uncomfortable... and it is good to see the also  the deck with the sunbeds,  reminding us that the garden is not always about work, as well as that we are still within human scale.
All in all, I think you have achieved a very delicate balance, using a major constraint (ie.small area ) much to your advantage. Hats off to that...   

Your pruning is really commendable... wow... reading about your garden on other sites, eventually, everything clicked in place... finding out that  you' re a bonsai guy, having done doing a lot of bonsai work, involving meticulous miniaturizing, before embarking on your garden project.
So, I guess using your experience in bonsai forming, your garden is a very true reflection of yourself. Thank you for sharing it, affording me the opportunity to ponder on it and also on what I should maybe consider to improve my own garden...

Best wishes from just a few gardens away, east of yours. 

kabuki999
kabuki999

RAMONSMIT

Hi Kabuki ,

thank you so much for your nice comment , i give the garden the best i have within my budget
and get great joy in maintaing it .....seeiing it mature over the years make me feel happy about the design i chose when i was starting out in this garden

i chose for the round stepping stones because i could only affort them at the time , some day when icomeacross the right stones i might replace them

all in all i get great joy and pride from maintaining my garden and i hope it will last for years and years

if you are interessted i have a complete photo documentary on Facebook about the build and development of my garden
www.facebook.com/ramonsgarden

with regards

Ramon Smit
Gouda , the Netherlands

kabuki999

Ramon, I've probably already seen most of what you have on the www, before my writing the previous post...btw, I like your cats.
As I said, I personally see nothing wrong with using round stepping stones, they need to be used in a good way, like any other stone.  I like to use a few for accent... to break the sharper, angular  pattern laid  by other stepping stones ...  or  maybe just  a single round  stone, well placed, eg. symbolizing the moon.

What interests me, is how people with different  garden sizes, locations, given conditions can bring the most out of their JG... the challenges are so different , and a lot depends on the size.
As for solutions to small gardens, there is other very good work to be seen here, on  the JGO forums, eg. Patch's garden, and Günter's... they seem to have  a different approach, maybe a bit more emphasis on the man-made.

One thing I see with adapted small gardens, is that it seems harder to find wab sabi, than in bigger gardens... I am wondering  if it is maybe more than just the maturing factor not yet showing -since  these gardens displayed on JGO are usually not very old - but perhaps it is also because of the concentrated approach most people use to create gardens in small areas... and the intensive maintenance these small gardens receive... because in such a highly concentrated, highlighted area, every flaw, irregularity just  screams ... but I'm only guessing, I don't have that  experience, my garden is about 290 sqm, let's say that's medium size, where things can go a bit wild without adverse effects. (though in my case, Mother Nature  takes the lead in our game a bit too often)       

Anyhow, seems to me , that in smaller spaces, maybe limited elements work best for wabi sabi,  like in the attached pics...  not all features and plants that we westerners like to see in our own JG's are seen here. Those few that do make this garden are highly representational...  and there is a round stone...  ;)       
kabuki999

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk