• Welcome to Japanese Gardening Forums 日本の園芸フォーラム. Please login or sign up.
October 24, 2020, 03:55:52 pm

News:

WHERE ARE YOU?  You can use the "Custom Title" of your profile settings to list your gardening location.  This helps when discussing climate sensitive topics.

Hello

Started by wchjr, October 12, 2013, 01:32:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wchjr

Greetings everyone,

My name is Willard and today is my first official day as a member of this group, which I found quite by accident after countless hours searching the internet for inspiration.  I am truly a novice although I have "enjoyed" viewing and experiencing Japanese and Asian gardens for quite some time. My exploration has been through actual visits and readings.  I am looking forward to gaining knowledge through the shared experiences of the group.  I have already learned quite a bit in the first few hours reviewing threads.   I live in Indiana and have a small somewhat level space in the back of my house about 40' by 80' which I "hope" to convert over the next "several" of years to a place of serenity; combining adaptive features of water-gardens, koi ponds and rock garden features.

JamesT

Welcome Willard,
Since you have the opportunity to start fresh, take time to ask about some of the primary Japanese garden considerations.
-Purpose: Is "place of serenity" the main idea to be expressed?
-Relationships: to environment, site, community, owners
-Perspective: views to select, control, create
-Use of space: particularly "ma", horizons
-Transitions: openings, closures, experiences
-Texture: Coarse-fine
etc...
There's a lifetime of delight to be explored while deciding "how, then, shall we live"?
James

wchjr

Hello James,

thank you for your welcome, statements and questions.  There a few details left out of my intro, your questions bring them to mind now and will help me to focus as I move forward.   My space is fenced and private, so the only viewers will be family and invited guest.  I fenced the yard last year and this year my fiancé and I spent a great deal of time "undoing" the work of the previous owners.  The garden was completely overgrown and full of weeds.  I retired in February of this year so I have plenty of time to do and try things.  Learning as I go, re-doing as I realize that some things don't fit or turn out as I envision them. This past Spring we put in a couple of starter Koi ponds (pre-formed) just to see if it might fit. Next summer, i'll probably remove the preformed ponds and go for larger options.  I don't want to put too much in this introductory thread, however, i'll surely start a few additional threads in the appropriate sections.  Thank you again for your welcome and insights, I've included them in my notes.

don

Welcome to the forum, Willard.  I hope you find the inspiration and answers!
Don

Michaelinseattle

Welcome aboard Willard! lots of great folks to help you out here.  Have you posted a picture of two of your garden space and existing pond?  I am in the midst of considering a pond in my yard, I would love to see it.

Thanks and good luck! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk